Monday, March 22, 2010

Beaded Top

I used the same pattern [New Look 6808] to make an off-white knit top as in my last post. I used the 3/4 length sleeve, which has a slit cuff and a plain scoop neckline (I just left off the collar).

I added embellishment to the neckline with beads. I brought my top to a local bead shop and within 10 minutes, the very helpful gal had me all set up with a handful of beads. She was able to lead me away from beads which should never be washed (mother of pearl) or those that would rust or break easily. She knew her stock! And she was very encouraging and empowering.

I spent a few nights playing with bead layouts. Taking photos and studying the layouts through a lens helped identify layouts with issues. I'll have to remember that for future reference. I think it was taking a step back and looking at the layout as a whole was what brought to light ideas that looked good, or those which were too overdone.








































I ended up beading the neckline twice. The first time I used poly thread that, upon first wash to wash out marker markings, the threads had stretched! So I resewed the whole top (and deleted a motif I didn't care for) using clear nylon thread. I made sure to knot almost every bead. After one wearing and another washing, one bead fell off (a large one) so I ran a second line of nylon thread through all the beads, knotting at each bead again. Loosing that one bead would have unraveled the whole shebang if I hadn't been so diligently knotting away!

So, pictures! Please do give me an honest assessment. Your comments will help me determine future plans. I would like to do more beading - but I need to figure out what thread to use - and I'd like to do more subtle beading, using the same color bead as the fabric.



































































Here is a photo of the first beading with the motif I left off during the second beading attempt. It was too crowded and not really necessary. You can also see that in my second beading (photos above) I corrected some of the wonkiness of the circle beads - which were very difficult to work with!



















One last photo with he-who-loves-to-be-held (black dog, white knit top - not a good marriage, dear!)....which has a bit of a better image of the broomstick skirt (bought at Cracker Barrel a couple of weeks ago) which I matched the beads to. I wore the outfit with a dark jean jacket (RTW - I've yet to tackle form-fitted jackets and flat-felled seams) the other day and felt quite ready for spring. Someone explain to me why it is snowing as I type here in southern Virginia on March 22.

5 comments:

Stash said...

My honest assessment is that the top is lovely. I beaded the neckline on DGD Christmas dress and know how hard it is to get it just right. Your diligence has paid off and it is extremely pretty! Congratulations on another job well done. I can't give advice on how to do beading as I don't generally do it or know about techniques. But, based on results, I would say you know what you are doing. ;-)

Beth said...

Lisa, that is simply lovely. You are quite talented.

RuthieK said...

It is absolutely lovely. I think you have got it just right.

K-Sue said...

My assessment is that I want to get that pattern because of what I see in this post. Don't think I want to tackle beading, but love the slit 3/4-length sleeves. It looks like you have gotten the fit just right, too. The whole outfit looks pretty together. I like how you give such good details of what you are doing.

Remnant said...

Thanks for the comments. It's hard to assess my work when I've spent so much time working on it - I get tired of looking at it. Does that happen to you too?

I think with beading, more is less. I should post a photo of the RTW top which inspired me to bead this one. It has soooo much beading detail - but I didn't realize it until I stopped to study it. I'll try to post that later today. But when attempting to bead my first project, I knew I needed to keep it simple.

K-Sue, having 4 darts on the front and two on the back, is certainly helpful when fitting. Be sure to make a muslin - I made an FBA first, and then had to adjust my vertical darts outward by an inch or more....but it was easy to do (but a bit time consuming). I also adjusted the dart placement on the back after making a broad back adjustment. I'd like to try the pink top with the cap sleeves - wonder if I'd look good in them. I like the off-set bow but I'd have to put it on the other side as I'm left handed and swing my purse over my left shoulder. I'll have to make notations on the pattern pieces and instructions to remind myself (as I go) to reverse the collar. And I'll have to put in a zipper - no cheating on that one because the neck opening is smaller. I think I'll adjust for a back zipper rather than the under arm one on the pattern. Anyway, it is NOT on my list of things I want to make next so I have time to mull it over.

I love comments (!) so thanks for leaving yours. :)