Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Upgrading Patterns

When I started sewing, I aimed for inexpensive fabric and simple patterns. I had fitting issues (a full bust) which I needed to learn to accommodate. Simple patterns equaled successful patterns. I’ve rarely had a wadder (something which is only good to be wadded up and tossed out) but, even so, I didn’t want to learn and experiment on costly fabrics.

 

Today I am tempted by seriously expensive wools. Just saying. Wools – sigh – love.

 

I managed to take away quite a haul of very lovely fabrics from G Street’s back wall a couple of weeks ago. After laundering, I realize just how good these pieces are. I’m hoping to build my SWAP for this year [11 well-fitted garments resulting in TNT’s – or tried-and-true patterns] around these G Street pieces. However, I have decided that in order to “make it work” I’ll need a few extra filler pieces – non-G Street back wall finds – and some newer patterns.

 

I have a new favorite ETSY fabric shop, FabricsandTrimmings. I hesitate to post this shop here but you’ll promise to keep my favorite pieces available to me for purchase, won’t you? I found a few lovelies last night:

image

Brown and Black Tweedy Wool with Poly Knit Fabric--One Yard. Skirt.

 

image

Cotton and Lycra (2%) Fabric 60" Wide. Nothing better than cotton with a wee bit of stretch for comfort.

 

And I snatched the last two yards of:

image

“Winter white sweatery wool.” Originally, I bought the last yard listed, then received notification that a second yard was available and that I could have it for half price. Great customer service!

 

Those three pieces will make a lovely outfit, don’t you think? The colors – the browns and rusts are colors I love to wear. And I hope the wool is more sweatery than wool because I’d love something very cozy to wrap me – I hope I can make something unlined so the warm cuddle is maximized.

 

I also was so tempted by Spain’s Paco Peralta’s Cowl Neck top. He hand draws every pattern. This man is an artisan and I greatly admire his handiwork.

image 

Paco’s Jacket – has intrigued me from the first time I saw it months ago. Yet I knew my skills were not up to attempting it. …look here as well for a unique fabric application. Love it!!!

image

image

J’adore the in-seam button hole and flattering seam placement.

 

I decided I will attempt this jacket after the first of the year. I do not think Paco encloses directions so I will need to rely upon books and generous blogsters who post tutorials and advice, as well, of course, upon the sewists at Stitcher’s Guild. I think Paco has posted a photo tutorial for construction tips.

 

I took advantage of Paco’s bundled offer which included his Half-Circle Skirt  which gets rave reviews from those who have made it. I probably won’t include it in my SWAP – but my SWAP plans have only begun to marinate thus far, so we’ll see what happens.

image

Paco demonstrates the three pieces together as “The Perfect Outfit.”

image

Ah, yes. This is definitely “me.”

 

I am in the midst of examining a few Style Arc patterns -

The Safari Jane Jacket has just the right amount of comfy slouch.

image

 

The Lara Cardi has the touch of wool I’ve envisioned for the small collection of wooly fabrics I’ve collected.

image

The Shelly Top is a dynamite cross over which mimics a RTW I recently purchased and love. I was going to trace the top, but perhaps purchasing a pattern would be better. It will certainly be easier!

image

Sewing for the SWAP doesn’t officially begin until Dec 26, though I can make muslins and cut fashion fabric before then, plus I am allowed to make two garments before the start date. I’m still in the designing/dreaming phase so I have quite a bit of work to do. Good thing sewing doesn’t end until April 30.

 

Are you planning to SWAP this year?

No comments: