Sunday, April 12, 2009

Tango, anyone?

I completed a garment! And I'm very satisfied with it.

I made Loes Hines' Tango Skirt (#5010) in a teal floral rayon which I found at Hancock Fabrics in Kingsport, Tennesee. You can't really tell from the photos, but this skirt swings so beautifully (as those who have made it attest). The movement of this skirt is unique and very feminine.

(I took the picture using a timer....I'll have to work to find a better angle to use but I did want to post a pic tonight.)

I took the advice of several ladies at the Stitcher's Guild Sewing Forum and made a muslin. I'm glad I did because I realized that I needed to be quite a bit more careful and deliberate with my cutting. I was tempted to zip through the cutting because the pattern pieces were simple and the same piece was repeated so many times (5 times, double layered for a total of 10 gores). I also realized I don't have as much cutting control using the rotary cutter as I do with a scissors, so I'll be sticking with scissors from now on.


The muslin fit well so I didn't need to make adjustments to the pattern for my fashion fabric. I didn't bother to finish the muslin waistline as the skirt is finished with a simple elastic technique. I really needed to make sure the skirt would fit my hips. Sewing the muslin had the added benefit of helping me adjust to the feel of the new machine.


I originally thought I'd need a lining, but decided my fabric didn't need one. Summers here in southern Virginia are HOT and I thought a lining would prevent me from wanting to wear this skirt in July and August. Without the lining, it is lightweight and cool.


I liked Loes' method of attaching the elastic. The elastic is sewn directly to the raw edge of the waistline, then both the elastic and waist are folded over and stitched again, rather than making a casing and inserting the elastic afterwards. I just might use this simple method again. And again.


This close-up was depressing as I realized how ill-fitting my favorite white linen jacket is. I think I'll work on shortening the sleeves.

I envision this skirt with a sheer fashion fabric and coordinating lining for formal events. I'll keep an eye out for something to use for this effect.


I took my time and enjoyed the process rather than rush from one task to the next. I love to see an idea come to fruition.


Sew satisfying.

1 comment:

Huskerbabe said...

I only use my rotary tool for quilting. It's great for all those straight lines